Finger Lakes Public Radio
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Demolition Begins at Women's Hall of Fame Site

Greg Cotterill, Finger Lakes Public Radio 89.5 WEOS

Demolition of the former Seneca Knitting Mill buildings in Seneca Falls begins today. The work will help clean up the future site of the National Women’s Hall of Fame. The main limestone building is being remodeled for the Hall of Fame, but collapsed brick buildings on both sides will be removed. The former office building to the east will be converted into a parking lot. The building on the west end will be removed to make a courtyard along the Cayuga-Seneca Canal. The goal is to have the first floor of the three story mill building open by the first quarter of next year. The mill was built in 1844, four years before the first Women’s Rights Convention was held in Seneca Falls.

Related Content